IMMEDIATE CALL TO ACTION:
What: Ask Our County to Adopt Laura’s Law And Include It in the County Mental Health Plan
Public Comment Via Email/Petition: Closes at end of business on October 18, 2017
Public Hearing: Held on October 19, 2017 Veterans Memorial Building – Dance Room 215 E Beach Street, Watsonville, Ca 95060 3:00 P.M. – 5:00 P.M.
Why Laura’s Law?
Recent tragedies in Santa Cruz involving community members with severe mental illness has spotlighted the issue of lack of mental health care options in our County. Laura’s Law—which must be passed by a majority of our County Board of Supervisors to be implemented—offers community-based, assisted outpatient treatment (AOT), to individuals who are too mentally ill to access mental health care on their own. A family member or mental health professional may petition the court to get help for a loved one.
Laura’s Law works
- After implementing Laura’s Law, Nevada County found that:
- Hospitalization was reduced 46%;
- Incarceration reduced 65%;
- Homelessness reduced 61%;
- Emergency Contacts reduced 44%;
- Saved of $1.81-$2.52 for every dollar spent as result of reducing incarceration, arrest, and hospitalization.
Who is eligible for Laura’s Law?
Court-ordered AOT under Laura’s Law is limited to persons who:
- have a condition which is substantially deteriorating;
- are unlikely to survive safely in community without supervision;
- have a history of noncompliance that includes two hospitalizations in past 36 months; or
act/threaten/attempt of violence to self/others in 48 months immediately preceding petition filing;
- are likely to need treatment to prevent meeting inpatient standard (in other words – in danger of being placed on a 5150 hold); and
- are likely to benefit from assisted treatment.
Where Can I Find Out More About Laura’s Law?
For a compilation of everything you need to know about Assisted Outpatient Treatment (Laura’s Law) in California go to: www.mentalillnesspolicy.org/states/lauraslawindex.html
What Can I Do To Help Get Laura’s Law Passed in Santa Cruz County?
Sign our Petition and an email in support of Laura’s Law will automatically be sent to our County leaders. Please read and sign the following petition. Thanks!